Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Relief

In my previous blog I said I would explain "more on that later." Well, here it is.
Today Nick was able to breathe clearly for a couple of hours after our morning doctor's visit. He's slowly coming back to life. We were having lunch together at Panera when he asked "can I have a bite of your bread?". I immediately tore off 3/4 of my bread and handed it to him to which he replied "woah, what's up with the generosity?". I went on to explain that for the past week I have been in the most servant-minded, generous frame-of-mind and even though he's feeling better, I'm still in the habit of catering to him. So when I said his time of surgery and recovery has been good for us both, I meant we have grown separately and as a couple.
He's learned how to rest. He spent almost 5 days straight on the couch in our living room. If you know Nick, this is nearly impossible for his ADD, OCD, hyper-active self. But, he has learned the benefit of resting. Although it's difficult for him, he says he wants to really try harder to keep a day during the week set aside soley for rest. We'll see!
And I have learned, or at least been reminded of how serving others is always easy for a couple of hours or even a couple of days but then it gets old. And frustrating. And annoying. And that's when it's real service. That's when the learning comes.
I have loved serving my husband. I LOVE him! And I'm thankful for the time we've had together learning and serving and resting. I AM glad he's better though!

No comments: