Thursday, October 18, 2007

Maybe it was the coffee

This is really weird for me. Nick just went to bed, before me. I am still wide awake, sitting on the couch and ready to put on a movie or something and he's brushing his teeth. This is weird.
If we don't go to bed together, I am the one who goes to bed first. Never the other way around.
He did only sleep for a total of an hour and a half last night. (still recovering) And he's probably only slept for a total of 8 hours in the past week. Poor thing. But for some reason I am strangely proud of the fact that I have not felt the first twinge of sleepiness and HE is falling over with exhaustion.
You see, for as long as I can remember I've always loved my sleep. LOVED it. Kept it sacred. I think this is because I know how I feel without it. Like shiz. I feel like complete shiz if I don't get at least 7 hours. It sucks kind of, but it's true. Lack of sleep affects my entire personality, my behavior, my hand-eye coordination...it's awful. So, I try to get it as much as I can.
I was also made fun of several times in high school and college for giving myself a curfew. I would carefully calculate what time I had to get up the next morning, how much sleep that would allow me, and then call it a night when it began to cut into sleep time. For a while I would be offended when friends gave me crap about needing sleep, but eventually I just accepted it as part of who I am (and you can make fun of me all day long, as long as I'm not tired I won't snap your head off or cuss you under my breath, I'll probably just laugh along with you). Sometimes this was mistaken as me being "responsible." Umm..not really, well, maybe, I mean actually it was just me wanting to sleep. It had little to do with my being responsible.
As a side note, this is really funny...since I began this blog nick has called for me from the bedroom twice. Once to tuck him in. Next to bring him his nasal spray. Both times he said "I want you in here with me." Hilarious. I really thought he was mocking me at first but he wasn't! Now he knows how I feel :-)

No comments: