Thursday, April 24, 2008

Lovechild

First of all, let me say that I am blogging because my hubby is playing video games, hogging the TV. Not that we have cable....but I could be watching a movie, or Friends...besides the point.

BUT, I did have an idea for a blog for the 2 people out there who actually might read this. Nick and I have FIN-ALL-Y started the process of recording together. It's taken quite a bit of emotional unpacking for me, growing together for the two of us, and sheer determination to set aside every Friday and Saturday for the next however-long-it-takes to record together. I've been writing more songs in the past few weeks/months than I have in probably 2 years and I am excited and happy and loving it.
I mention "emotional unpacking" because this is a fresh start on a an old desire/passion/calling and it's taken some working-through to get to where I could stomach trying it again. Sometime over the past 5 years or so I became cynical and broken when it came to "making it" in the music business and just decided to peace-out on the idea all together. Unfortunately, I also peaced-out on the art of it all too. This is not a good way to live for someone who is innately creative, innately musical. I come alive during and after the writing of a song. I come alive during and following the performance of a song. It's getting there that's the hard part.
Now, I've got someone to hold my hand through it and tell me I don't suck when I get down on myself and feel like quitting. I've got a cheerleader. AND, the best part, is I have my own recording engineer, drummer, bass and guitar player, and vocalist ALL-IN-ONE!!! WOAH! It's pretty awesome. The most important part though is that I'm realizing it's not about whether everyone else likes what you put out there. There is no Right or Wrong. It's just art. It doesn't have to pay well.
Anyway, we're calling ourselves Lovechild. It came from a conversation that we had on our way up to Nashville earlier this year. I said, "any album of ours will sound like the lovechild of a rocker and a folk singer"...and the rest is history.

AND, did I mention I get to write and record a jingle for Tamaron Honda in Birmingham?!!?!?!?!? Well, it was actually Nick's gig he got from a drummer-friend of his that knows we have a studio, but I told him it would make my life if he would let me sing it!! And he said I could and I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (If this doesn't happen I will be so depressed and eat a pint of icecream on my own). My hopes are up!

PS....here is our new myspace page. We should have a song or two up in the next week or so.
www.myspace.com/lovechildsongs

No comments: