Thursday, January 31, 2008

Writing, Recording and Singing

I love to sing. That won't ever change, it's not something I will ever STOP doing. I can't. BUT, songwriting, although I've done it since I was a 5 year old, bored, only-child is something that has always come and gone with the winds of inspiration. Lately, I've been writing again....which gives me this huge sense of accomplishment when I get somewhere with a song. Now, to be fair, stepping back from my latest songs I'm not hugely thrilled with the amazing creativity of them, but just the mere fact that I'm taking time to write excites me. The song I'm most proud of lately is a song commissioned by the planners of this 6th grade retreat that Nick and I are leading next weekend. The theme of the weekend is "Transformers" but they didn't have a theme song! Enter Kelsey. Ever since I penned the wildly popular "Go the Extra Mile" for Lifeway's Centri-kid camp of the same name, I've prided myself on my children's-theme-song writing (notice a hint of sarcasm). But seriously....there is something so fun about writing kids songs! My song "Transforming" is the latest.....it's great fun to sing and play....I hope they like it next weekend!
This writing spurt has happened because Nick and I are trying to be intentional about getting an album recorded THIS YEAR. He has a studio for an office and we rarely take advantage of it for ourselves. Mostly because we haven't been writing like we should be...but now we are! Hopefully sometime in the near future we'll have something to show for it.
Which brings me to band names. If you have any suggestions please let me know. We cannot just be Nick and Kelsey Jones. That is lame. AfterJune was our original thought, but we're not so thrilled about that anymore. Anyway....
New songs, new duo, new band name. Yay for songwriting, singing, recording, and a husband who can do all of the above with me!

No comments: